Toothpaste comes in all kinds of shapes, sizes, and varieties. Don’t let fancy packaging or flashy marketing campaigns fool you into an unhealthy mouth. We should all be brushing our teeth twice a day, so it is especially important to select the right toothpaste. Since every mouth is different, you should select a paste that caters specifically to your dental needs.
Different Pastes for Different Needs:
Some examples of different dental needs and the right toothpaste to treat them include:
- Cavity Prevention: If you have a sweet tooth or are prone to cavities, it is important to brush with a toothpaste that aids in cavity prevention. This means that your toothpaste should most definitely contain every dentist’s favorite mineral, fluoride. Fluoride helps coat the teeth for an extra line of defense against notorious cavities. When shopping for toothpaste it is important to search for something that mentions cavity prevention and has an ADA seal of approval. Brands like Crest and Colgate offer several anti-cavity choices and are of the most trusted brands in the industry.
- Whiter Teeth: Whitening toothpastes are one of the most popular types of toothpastes in this day and age. When selecting a whitening toothpaste, it is important to choose a tube that is non-abrasive. Some of the whitening pastes on the market contain corrosive particles that can wear away at your enamel and do more harm than good. Brands like Colgate, Crest, Sensodyne, and Tom’s all offer exceptional whitening options.
- Sensitive Teeth: It’s no surprise that the leader in toothpaste for sensitive teeth is none other than Sensodyne. Their formulas are specifically designed for sensitive teeth and can treat multiple dental concerns at once.
- Excessive Plaque: Tartar control toothpastes are the best option for people with an excess of plaque. They contain compounds that help fight tartar buildup and reduce harmful plaque in the mouth. Crest’s Tartar Buildup is a great option for people with plaque issues.
- Senior Dental Care: Many seniors require toothpaste that caters to their dentures or dental implants. Fixodent specializes in denture care and is a great brand to consider for brushing your dentures. Colgate Enamel Health toothpaste can help preserve and elongate the lifespan of your dental implants.
- Natural Oral Care: Many people are concerned with utilizing oral products that are all natural. Tom’s of Maine is one of the most popular brands of natural toothpaste, and can also treat many other needs such as whitening and cavity prevention.
The right toothpaste and a proper at-home oral routine is only half the battle. You should visit your dentist twice a year for cleanings and preventative treatment for optimal dental health. If you require a cleaning or any other dental procedure, be sure to book an appointment with Dr. Rodney Raanan.