The oil pulling trend has been sweeping the Beverly Hills area for years. With alleged benefits for both oral and overall health, it’s easy to see why so many people have committed to the swish. This ancient practice in oral hygiene provides people with a more holistic approach to dental care.
What is Oil Pulling?
Oil pulling consists of swishing a natural oil (coconut, sesame, sunflower, or olive) in your mouth for 20 minutes each day. This process is known to:
- Cure headaches, acne, and asthma
- Prevent plaque build-up on the teeth
- Kill harmful bacteria in the mouth
- Heal bleeding or swollen gums
- Whiten teeth
- Detoxify your body
- Boost your immune system
- Decrease jaw pain in patients with TMJ
How to Practice Oil Pulling:
- Select your oil. Most people opt for coconut oil because of its anti-bacterial properties.
- Place a tablespoon of the oil into your mouth, gently swish it around, suck and pull in and out of teeth, for 20 minutes. Be sure to not swallow any of the oil while performing the pulling as it will retain harmful bacteria.
- Spit out the oil.
- Brush and floss your teeth.
Although oil pulling may seem like an ideal method of dental cleaning, it does not cover all areas of oral health. Routine oil pulling should not replace professional oral care from a dentist. While oil pulling has its benefits, it does not reverse dental issues like tooth decay and does not resolve aesthetic or restorative issues.
If you require cosmetic, restorative, or implant dentistry in the Beverly Hills area book your appointment with Dr Rodney Raanan today.